Sunday, April 18, 2010

World Tea Expo Highlights 2008

Greetings Friends,
This is my very first post and I am so very excited to share some of my favorite highlights from the World Tea Expo. This year the expo was held in Las Vegas. Of course we all know the cute little line that states, “what happens in Las Vegas, stays in Las Vegas”, but not in my case. This was my fourth year of attending this grand tea aficionado’s event and each year I learn and see new things. The moment I entered the convention hall I began to take it all in. My first stop was a tea tasting with James Norwood Pratt. He has authored many books about tea and is well respected for his knowledge of teas. We tasted and learned about teas from Darjeeling and India. I think it so awesome that tea brings so many people from around the world for this celebration. It is interesting to meet people from Germany, India, China, Japan, England and Kenya. Every country has it’s own tea traditions and varieties of tea. I then went on to visit many other importers to taste and discover new teas. My favorite being a strawberry white tea, which we now have at Camellia Rose. This white tea has a very delicate taste with a hint of sweetness from the strawberry. I discovered some beautiful new glass tea pots in various shapes such as a pumpkin. These are a perfect visual to watch the tea leaves unfurl as they steep. Beauty is one of the many facets that I appreciate from the tea leaf. This year I met Susan Rios, she is an artist and her work is featured in many of Emilie Barnes books. She will be painting an oil canvas of our tea room. Once she has completed it, we will be offering smaller versions to sell to our guests. I can hardly wait to see what she comes up with! I also selected some beautiful pieces of teapot jewelry to bring home for our customers.Of course it was good to see acquaintances from previous expos and catch up on the latest with them. My dear friend Scottie from Royal Tea Cozies had many new and beautiful tea cosies displayed. This busy four day event went by so quickly. Now I look forward to sharing some of the favorite things I experienced with my tea room guests. I will never forget the words of wisdom from James Norwood Pratt, when I met him at the first tea expo I attended, “there are no tea experts, we are all lifelong students of this ancient beverage.” How very true, I am a lifelong student of tea!
Come, join me, as we share a cup of tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment